The meeting was called to order by President Lani Farer at 4:14PM at the Cemetery Office.  Also present were Trustees, Bill Morris, Lynda Edmonds and Greg Taylor, Manager, Logan Marlow, Office Manager, Rosa Stehly and Manuel Minjares from Supervisor Long’s office.


MANAGER’S REPORT – Logan and Rosa presented the Manager’s report included as a part of these minutes. A couple of items are that we are now required to have a separate dumpster for green waste (flowers) separate from our regular trash at an extra cost.  New trash cans will be purchased and labeled for flowers and regular trash ink hopes the public will help with their disposal of flowers vs the cellophane that comes with them or other trash  by putting in the correct receptacle.

LANDSCAPE REPORT – Jamie was absent but sent his report stating he is doing watering on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday as needed.  Logan is also watering.  He reported a problem with rocks that people are putting in with their flowers and then dumping on the lawn which causes damage to the mowers.  Grave markers are at a 4 week turnaround for trimming but with the watering and fertilizer it grows back quickly.

MINUTES – The minutes of the previous regular meeting of May 15, 2023 were emailed to the Board and posted on the website.  Bill moved the minutes be accepted, Greg made the second and motion passed.

FINANCIAL REPORT – Received and reviewed.  Bill moved the Financial Statement for the Fiscal Year 2022-23 be filed.  Greg made the second and motion passed.


  1.  Memorial Day – Lynda reported the program went well and that our speaker, Mark Allen was well received.  He made a suggestion for a microphone stand to make it easier.  Lynda reported she had purchased one and donated to the Cemetery.
  2. Signage – Greg reported the new signs were installed and had already been graffitied.
  3. Wall Repair – Greg has been in touch with the adjacent landowner regarding the flooding problem from this property but nothing has been resolved.  It was suggested he rechannel his ditch along the wall. Greg will follow up and keep reaching out to him.


  1.   Containers – Greg and Lynda have been reaching out to container companies for prices. The purpose of these would be to replace the existing garage where equipment, chairs and old records are stored as the garage is in poor condition.  Before they can be placed the existing structures will have to be torn down and Greg will get a price to have that done.
  2. Workshop – Lani reported the board had a workshop with Steve & Rhonda Brockus and Joe Blaylock to discuss cemetery issues. The recent Financials were gone over and it was determined by all that the Cemetery does not have enough funding to employ at least 2 full time people on the grounds.  The conclusion of the workshop was that rates need to be raised.
  3. Rates – In reviewing the last Fiscal Year financials and the outcome of the workshop there was a discussion of raising rates.  In researching other cemeteries our fees are the lowest of all.  The conclusion was that effective August 1st rates should increase 1.42%.  The motion was made by Bill, seconded by Lynda these rates become effective.  Motion passed.
  4. County Workshop – Lynda reported she had been contacted by Brian Miller from Supervisor Long’s office regarding a workshop for Boards, Managers and Office Staff of local cemeteries to get together to discuss common problems.  Manuel Minjares reported this will be held at the Simi Valley Town Center on September 20th and more information will be forthcoming.
  5. Quarterly meetings – A suggestion of quarterly meetings was presented with Special or Emergency meetings as needed.  It was decided to continue as we have with semi-monthly meetings.

OTHER – We have received a proposal from SSR for providing the portable toilets.  It is less than we are paying now and it was determined to accept their proposal beginning August 1st as they are a local company.  Lynda will contact Andy Gump for removal and SSR to begin service.


There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 5:55PM until September 18, 2023.

Lynda Edmonds, Secretary

Leave a Reply